Skip to content
Cream of Mushrooms and Scallops Recipe
Chef Bernard Henry shares this recipe for Cream of Mushrooms, Scallops, and Toasted Walnuts. Wine selections from Ms. Jane Hermansen of the Greater Washington Wine School, GWWSLLC@aol.com.
- 11-12 oz of Portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 7-8 oz of button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 7 oz of shallots or onions, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Quart of chicken stock
- 1 Quart of heavy whipping cream
- Canola oil
- 12 scallops, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Cup of walnuts, thinly chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large saucepan, add some oil and sweat the shallots or onions over medium-low heat (do not brown them), for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook stirring them for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Bring to a quick boil and immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 8 -10 minutes and let cool off for 5 minutes.
- Pour in batches in a blender and blend at high speed until there is no trace of the mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place walnuts on a baking pan and toast the walnut until they turn golden brown.
- In a saucepan over high heat, add some oil and sauté the scallops for 1 minute, until cooked but still translucent.
- In soup bowls, put 2 tablespoons of scallops at the bottom of each bowl, pour the warm cream of mushrooms over and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- Cono Sur 2007 VIOGNIER (Chile, South America)
- Sipp Mack 2004 PINOT GRIS RESERVE (Alsace, France)
- Crios de Susana Balbo 2007 ROSÉ OF MALBEC (Argentina, South America)