Miniature Crab Cakes Recipe
Crab Cake Ingredients
Yield: Makes about 24 miniature crab cakes
- 1 Cup of minced red bell pepper (about 1 small pepper)
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1/3 Cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of stone-ground mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon of tarragon
- 1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat, picked over
- 1 1/2 cups of panko
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
Crab Cake Instructions
- In a non-stick skillet sauté red bell pepper in oil over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until softened and golden.
- In a bowl whisk together mayonnaise, yolk, mustard, lemon juice, tarragon, and bell pepper, and stir in crab and salt and pepper to taste gently but thoroughly.
- Chill crab mixture, covered, for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large shallow baking pan, spread panko in an even layer.
- Toast panko, stirring occasionally, until golden, for about 10 minutes, and cool. Panko may be toasted up to 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Form rounded teaspoons of crab mixture into slightly flattened 1-inch rounds and gently coat with panko, transferring to a shallow baking pan.
- Chill crab cakes, loosely covered with wax paper, for at least 2 hours, and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drizzle a scant 1/4 teaspoon of butter on each crab and bake in the middle of the oven until crisp and cooked through, for about 15 minutes.
Mustard Mayonnaise Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup of mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, or to taste
Mustard Mayonnaise Instructions
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice. Mustard Mayonnaise may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered.
Serving Tips: Serve crab cakes in Japanese spoons. Mustard Mayonnaise at the bottom + crab cake + dollop of Mustard Mayonnaise + 1 tarragon leaf. Also works great with Miso Aioli Sauce.
- Crios de Susana Balbo 2007 TORRONTES (Argentina, South America)
- Willowcroft 2006 CABERNET BLANC (Leesburg, Virginia)
- Sherwood Estate 2006 PINOT NOIR (Marlborough, New Zealand)