Sautéed Cod Recipe
Yield: 6 first-course servings
- 2 lbs of asparagus, trimmed
- 6 Tablespoon, or a 3/4 stick, of butter
- Six 6-to7-ounces of cod fillets
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds, coarsely chopped
- Cut asparagus tips into 2-inch long pieces. Set aside.
- Peel asparagus stalks. Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces. Cook stalks in a large saucepan of boiling, slightly salted water until very tender, for about 6-7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the stalks to the blender. Add a 3/4 cup of cooking liquid to the blender. Blend until very smooth, adding more cooking liquid to thin sauce.
- Blend 2 tablespoons of butter into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. The sauce can be made one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Transfer the sauce to a medium saucepan. Bring sauce to a simmer. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Cook asparagus tips in boiling salted water until crisp to tender, for about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in each of the two heavy large skillets over medium-high heat. Add 3 fish fillets to each skillet and cook until golden and opaque in the center, about 4 minutes per side.
- Spoon warm sauce onto plates. Top with fish. Garnish with asparagus tips. Sprinkle with fennel seeds and serve.
- Red Bicyclette 2006 ROSÉ (Languedoc, France)
- A-Mano 2007 PINOT GRIGIO (Venezie, Italy)
- Edna Valley 2007 CHARDONNAY (San Luis Obispo, California)