Sautéed Cod with Potatoes Recipe
Sautéed Cod Ingredients
Yield: 4 Servings
- 9 Large clove garlic: 4 unpeeled, 2 thinly sliced, and 3 finely minced
- 2/3 Cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs of medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 3 Large shallots, thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup of minced shallots
- 1/2 Cup of dry white wine
- 1 lb of mussels, scrubbed
- 2 oz of chorizo, preferably Spanish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Cup of clam juice
- 5 Branches of thyme
- 5 Branches of rosemary
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- 5 Tablespoons of minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 Skinless cod fillet
- White pepper
Sautéed Cod Instructions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush unpeeled garlic with a teaspoon of olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a pot of salted water. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat, for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan.
- Add sliced shallots and sliced garlic, and cook over low heat until soft but not colored.
- Add wine, bring to a simmer and add mussels. Cover and cook until mussels open, about 3 minutes.
- Drain mussels through a fine sieve, and reserve cooking liquid.
- Shuck mussels and reserve, covered. Clean the pan.
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in the mussel pan. Add minced shallots and minced garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Add chorizo and sauté until starting to brown. Add clam juice and mussel cooking liquid. Bring to a simmer, and add 1 branch of each thyme and rosemary.
- Remove from heat, add shucked mussels, set aside and cover.
- When roasted garlic is done, remove it from the foil, and peel cloves.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them, and return them to the cooking pot. Mash with a fork, adding roasted garlic cloves, butter, and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the potatoes over low heat, fold in 4 tablespoons of parsley, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and season to taste with salt. Set aside over very low heat.
- Pat fish dry, and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a heavy skillet, add the remaining oil. Place over high heat. When oil is hot, sauté fish, turning once, until golden brown, about 4-to-5 minutes on each side.
- Reheat chorizo-mussel broth over low heat, and add the remaining lemon juice. Remove thyme and rosemary, and add the remaining parsley.
Serving Tips: Place a portion of potatoes in the center of each of four shallow soup plates. Place a portion of fish on the potatoes. Spoon broth, chorizo, and mussels around potatoes and garnish with thyme and rosemary.
- Pazo de Galegos 2005 ALBARINO (Rias Baixas, Spain)
- WillaKenzie Estate 2005 PINOT NOIR (Willamette Valley, Oregon)
- Yalumba 2006 SHIRAZ / VIOGNIER (Angaston, South Australia)