Scallops and Asian Slaw
Yield: 6 first-course servings
- 1-1/2 pounds of sea scallops
- 1 Carrot, julienned
- 1/3 pound of daikon radish, peeled and julienned
- 1 unpeeled Granny Smith apple, julienned
- 1 scallion, julienned
- 3 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoon of lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons of minced Serrano chile
- 1 teaspoon of Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 Cup of vegetable oil
- Toss together carrot, radish, apple, scallion, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes to soften, tossing occasionally.
- Stir together cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce, chile, 3 tablespoons of oil, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Pat scallops dry. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- Heat remaining oil in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat and sauté scallops turning once until golden and just cooked through, for about 4 minutes.
- Drain slaw, discarding liquid. Divide among six plates, top with scallops, and drizzle with cilantro sauce.
- Neil Ellis Wines 2007 SAUVIGNON BLANC “SINCERELY”(Stellenbosch, South Africa)
- Cono Sur 2007 PINOT NOIR VISION (Colchagua Valley, Chile)
- Yalumba Winery 2007 VIOGNIER (Angaston, South Australia)