Scallops and Corn Recipe
Corn Sauce Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 Small white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Carrot, chopped (about a 3/4 cup)
- 1 Celery stalk, chopped (about a 1/2 cup)
- 2 Garlic cloves, halved
- 6 Cups of chicken or vegetable stock, or low-sodium broth, plus additional for thinning the sauce
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Cups of fresh corn kernels (from 2 to 3 ears of corn), cobs reserved
Corn Sauce Instructions
- In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, warm oil.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, for about 7 minutes. Adjust heat as necessary to keep the veggies from browning.
- Add stock and corn cobs. Raise the heat to moderately high, and bring it to a simmer.
- Lower heat to moderate and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, adding stock if most of the liquid evaporates.
- Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and corn cobs, and discard. Add corn kernels to stock, raise heat to moderately high, and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat to moderate and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Finish sauce.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then purée mixture in a blender until very smooth, for about 2 minutes.
- Strain through a mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing on solids to extract all liquid. If the sauce is too thick to pour, stir in a small amount of additional stock.
- Stir in salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Add corn grains as a garnish to the sauce.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 8-12 Scallops
- Wondra flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander
- Grapeseed oil
- Garnish: Baby corn shoots, Baby red shiso
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels and dredge them in the seasoned Wondra flour.
- Place a sauté pan over high heat, add grapeseed oil, and sear scallops until they turned golden on both sides and translucent in the middle.
- Place scallops on a plate and drizzle with the Corn Sauce.
- Gatao VINHO VERDE 2008 (Gondomar, Portugal)
- “Les Rials” VIN DE PAYS (Tarn, France)
- Mac Murray “Ranch” 2007 PINOT NOIR (Sonoma Coast, California)