Spa Cioppino Recipe
Chef Kurt Friesland shares this recipe for Spa Cioppino. Wine selections from Ms. Jane Hermansen of the Greater Washington Wine School, GWWSLLC@aol.com.
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/2 lb of fresh cod fillet
- 6 Littleneck clams
- 6 16/20 ct Shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 6 Jonah crab claws
- 1/2 lb of Scallops
- 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 Cups Tomato juice
- 2 Cups Seafood or chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup of medium Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup of medium Celery, diced
- 1 Cup of fresh shiitake mushrooms – stemmed and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of roasted garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon of fresh rosemary – chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon of fresh marjoram – chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon of fresh oregano – chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon of fresh thyme – chopped
- 1/4 Cup of white wine
- 2 Tablespoon of Romano cheese – grated
- 6 Parsley sprigs
- 6 Lime wedges
- In a 4-quart saucepan, sauté scallops and shrimp in olive oil. Remove and hold.
- Deglaze with white wine, and sweat vegetables and mushrooms.
- Add cod, cook lightly, remove and hold.
- Fortify with chicken stock and tomato juice. Simmer.
- Add all shellfish and fresh herbs, and simmer covered.
- Blackstone Winery 2005 PINOT NOIR (Woodbridge, California)
- Alamos 2006 PINOT NOIR (Mendoza, Argentina)